Naomi Osaka withdraws from Indian Wells tournament as expected


INDIAN WELLS, Calif. — Naomi Osaka pulled out of the BNP Paribas Open on Wednesday, a move that was expected after she indicated following her US Open loss this month that she planned to take another extended break from tennis.

The withdrawal was announced by the official Twitter feed for the hard-court tournament at Indian Wells, which is scheduled for Oct. 4-17 after twice being delayed during the coronavirus pandemic.

Osaka is a four-time Grand Slam champion who has been ranked No. 1 and is currently No. 8.

She last played at the US Open, where her title defense ended with a third-round loss to eventual runner-up Leylah Fernandez on Sept. 3.

After that defeat, Osaka said: “I honestly don’t know when I’m going to play my next tennis match.”

Osaka, a 23-year-old who was born in Japan and now is based in the U.S., took time off earlier this season, a mental health break that began when she withdrew from the French Open before her second-round match. She also sat out Wimbledon, then returned for the Tokyo Olympics, where she lit the cauldron during the opening ceremony.

“I feel like for me, recently, when I win, I don’t feel happy, I feel more like a relief. And then when I lose, I feel very sad,” Osaka said at her news conference following the 5-7, 7-6 (2), 6-4 loss to Fernandez at Flushing Meadows. “I don’t think that’s normal.”



Source link

Naomi Osaka withdraws from Indian Wells tournament as expected

For watching live sports, visit boomtv.info.

BoomTV offers exceptional live TV service with the highest iptv standards.

Never miss a live sports event, catchup on all your tv shows and get access to all the latest movies out there.

WATCH 2000+ HD CHANNELS AND ON-DEMAND MOVIES/TV SHOWS ON YOUR FAVORITE DEVICES

site logo - Boom TV